Thursday, November 30, 2006
Joys of Parenting...

Today McKenzie came home from school and pulled a charm out of her pocket. She said,"Look mommy, this is what Ms.Tarrance gave everyone in our group for doing a good job". It was obvious that this was not the case. I asked her some investigative questions (just like all moms would do). I asked who was in her group, why they got the charms and then I told her I was going to go to her classroom in the morning to thank Ms Tarrance for giving McKenzie the gift. McKenzie got very firm about not wanting me to go to her classroom. Then I told her I would give her one more chance to tell me the truth about where she got that charm. Then all of a sudden she had forgotten where she got it from. I explained to her that the charm belonged to someone else and that what she did was stealing, and that God tells us in the Bible that we should not steal. She told me that she found it on the white board in the classroom and put it in her pocket. I told her a story about when I stole and got caught and J-miah did the same. We really tried our best to get through to her, and I feel like we did. Then we had to revisit the fact that she lied to us. We told her the difference about telling stories that are pretend and lies.
It all ended with us deciding that I will take McKenzie to school early, so that she can give the charm back to Ms Tarrance and apologize for what she had done. She also had some other punishments at home, she had to go to bed early and without a story(that is like telling her to go a week without food!)
I really feel like we handled it correctly, but I will tell ya, I felt like I went 5 rounds with Mike Tyson after it was all said and done. Talk about an emotional roller coaster.
I told my mother-in-law briefly what happened and she said," Now you know the saying this hurts me more than it hurts you is so true! " Boy is she right





2 Comments:
Blogger Sandy had this to say:

You never can really tell if they understand something like that. I think you are doing the right thing. I would have approached it the same way with my lil fella.

 

Blogger Lori had this to say:

First of all let me say that I love your new blog outfit!! It is very pretty and reminds me of you!!

You and J-Miah are amazing parents because you keep God first. I'm sure that ya'll did a great job getting your point across. I have yet to be faced with that issue with Mason but I'm sure we will.... I think that all kids steal at least once... how would they ever learn from their mistakes? Love you!

 

Post a Comment

<< back to the main page

~JOY in the Journey~

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

My name is Jessica with the initials JOY, hence the title. My wonderful husband is Jeremiah and I am the mother of 2 beautiful girls McKenzie & Gabrielle. There always seems to be something going on here in our lives. So as you read, you will experience my "JOY in the Journey".

Name:

I have been married 8 years to the love of my life, Jeremiah. God has blessed us with 2 beautiful little girls, McKenzie 7 and Gabrielle 2. They keep us very busy. God has been very good to our family and to Him we are grateful.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Casting Crowns
Carolina Rags
Beaufort Gazette
Google
ebay
Yahoo Mail
Weight Watchers

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

jeremiahandjessica@yahoo.com

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Layout design & graphics by mela
Powered by Blogger